Campus Safety Programs/Crime Prevention
Ranken Technical College is pro-active in providing our students, faculty, and staff with essential tools to make our campus safer. These additional tools have been put in place to assist:
Contact the Department of Public Safety if you would like to schedule a speaker to discuss personal safety tips, campus safety, emergency preparedness, alcohol/drug awareness, or any other related topics. (314) 286-3300 ext. 3300.
Personal Safety & Awareness Tips
Criminals focus on the opportunity to attack and take advantage of people, we have prepared numerous safety & awareness tips to aid you in your day to day life on and off campus. As a reminder, Ranken Public Safety Department would like to offer the following practical suggestions that you should make a part of your normal routine.
- Do not walk alone. Try to walk in groups with other students/co-workers etc. as there is strength in numbers.
- Be confident, not timid know where you’re going ahead of time.
- Do not display valuable jewelry or personal items, even the smallest amount of jewelry may be more than what the suspect has.
- Dress appropriately, wear shoes that you are able to run in, if necessary.
- Always remain alert to your surroundings from all angles. Be aware of people trying to divert your attention elsewhere.
- Don’t walk near open-door ways and walk in well-lit areas.
- Don’t take short cuts, through alley ways and buildings.
- Have your cell phone handy.
- If you are being followed by someone on foot, cross the street and proceed to the nearest open business or a location where there are likely to be people.
- Carry a loud whistle with you.
- Report all crimes to Public Safety if on campus ext. 3300, off campus contact SLMPD (314) 231-1212
- Always have your keys in your hand when approaching your vehicle.
- As you approach your vehicle glance underneath, check the trunk to make sure it’s still locked. Check the backseat prior to entering your vehicle.
- Park close to buildings you will be entering.
- Keep doors locked and windows up at night and in unfamiliar areas.
- Do not leave visible items in your vehicle.
- Never leave your vehicle running while unattended.
- Keep spare keys in your wallet
- Don’t leave information about you or your vehicle inside the vehicle.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- When stopped in traffic leave enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.