The Power of Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom
Imagine. Design. Create. Repeat. During this academy, participants will become “makers” and tap into their innate tinkering abilities. Makers will safely use high- and low-tech tools, specialty supplies and everyday classroom/household materials to produce creations and innovations. The engineering design process will be employed in a variety of STEM projects. Participants will visit relevant Ranken Technical College departments and workshops at the downtown location as well as exemplary makerspaces in the community to engage in hands-on activities, make industry connections, and explore potential community partnerships. A problem-based learning approach will be taken to demystify STEM education concepts and empower participants to positively impact students’ attitudes towards and perceptions of STEM concepts, classes, and career choices.
Instructor: Chris Donaldson, Engineering & Industrial Technology Teacher, DuBray Middle School, St. Peters, MO., STEM Education Consultant, B.A. Business/Marketing Education (6-12) and German (K-12), Technology and Engineering Certification (5-12), M.Ed. Science Education with NASA Endeavor STEM Teaching Certificate (July 2016)
When/Where: June 5 – 9, 2017, 8AM – 4PM, Room G108-109 (Gray Building), Ranken Technical College, St. Louis, MO
Registration Fee: $25 (non-refundable); lunch will be provided daily
The Summer STEM Academies for Educators are high-tech professional development workshops that promote awareness of STEM technical programs at Ranken Technical College, as well as technical career opportunities in the St. Louis region and beyond. Graduate credit option is available.
Educators interested in this learning opportunity may:
- Select one STEM Academy that best suits their needs
- Earn PD hours or graduate credit from Lindenwood University (fees apply)
- Benefit from a quality instructional experience, hands-on demonstrations from experienced faculty, and supplemental take-home materials.
- Applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Only STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) teachers or school counselors may apply.
- Applicants may participate in ONE STEM academy ONLY. You may not repeat a course previously taken.
- Your registration fee of $25.00 is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Participants must complete a Federal W-9 form on the first day of class.
Assumption of the Risk Form – 2017 STEM Academies